CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
You can breast feed and Work! Ever have trouble breast or bottle feeding? How about the transition from one to the other?

YOU'RE NOT ALONE.

This blog is an opportunity for you to share your thoughts, stories, successes, and even your failed attempts at this transitioning game. Your thoughts are important to mom's all across the world who are in the same boat as you.

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Weaning off breastmilk

Has it come time to start the weaning process for your little one? Have you reached the one year mark? I was so excited on Monday for our little one to turn 1 years old. Its bittersweet... He's no longer a baby but emerging as a curious toddler on the go. With him entering into the toddler years, it's time for me to step out of the breastfeeding. I'm happy with my accomplishment of one full year! But whats NEXT? Now how do I get him to transition from the breast milk that he loves so much to cows milk? And more importantly how to get rid of that bottle and use a sippy cup instead?
First off we introduced a sippy cup at 10 months old. (not necessarily to drink from it, but to start the introduction process, and eventually graduate him to using it full time) It helps that his sister uses one at every meal as well. He takes more of an interest in his own to copy his sister.) Little by little he learns how to get the liquid out of it into his mouth, and then to swallow it rather than spit it out. Actually the learning process in the whole food arena is comical to me. But by one years old they are fully equip to handling water and then milk in there very own sippy cup. Don't get me wrong I still will use the bottle for his mid afternoon milk, but working towards a big boy status is always a good thing. I started the other day slowly introducing cows milk and mixing it into my own breast milk. I started by using 4oz breast milk and 2oz regular milk the first and second day. I wanted to see if my son's stomach did OK with the addition of the cow's milk. Ill be slowly changing him over to all cows milk over then next couple of weeks.

2 comments:

  1. I "weaned" my daughter by going cold turkey two weeks after her first birthday. She went straight from the breast to a sippy cup. Love the site, great info, I'll be following!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son took so much longer to wean than my daughter did. I think if I had let him, he'd still be breastfeeding even though he's almost two (lol). Coming by to visit from the Finding New Friends blog hop.
    Cheers,
    Char
    http://1epicmom.com

    ReplyDelete